Thursday, August 30, 2012

Is it research...?

Having my first career in accounting, I found many similarities between my experiences and my professor. I hadn't really given a lot of thought to primary research and how that can include accounting research, like what I conducted over the course of my first few months on the job. While I was paying invoices, I began noticing a pattern of services that felt familiar. Based upon a hunch, and a great visual memory, I created our company's very first "database" (in 1985) to gather, sort, and organize all of the invoices associated with improvements we were making to our rental properties. As a real estate developer and property manager of multiple major housing projects, as well as a multitude of commercial properties, it involved tens of thousands of records. Going back over a five year period, I discovered that we had been double and sometimes triple-billed by our major contractor for services that were rendered only once. Long story short: my first official research project, database, and summary report gained the company a refund of more than three times my annual salary, and was the impetus for the implementation of new accounting procedures. If research can help bring about that kind of change - then I can better relate to the idea of research reporting and would look forward to it instead of dreading to the point of elevated anxiety.

Philosophical Worldview: acted due to social constructivist instincts, yet results were more in line with the advocacy/participatory worldview

No comments:

Post a Comment