Sunday, October 21, 2012

data analysis...

Accepting Dr. Kevin Morrell's supposition, I am lucky to have at least a "nodding acquaintance some common statistical tests" conducted in quantitative research and data analysis (slide 33).
It was also interesting to see Morrell's reference to the caution that should be exercised when using the word 'signifcant' when one is writing relating to research, as it is a "quick way to show up ignorance" (slide 23).

Going back to some research articles that I've read over the past year, the term seems to be used more frequently than I would expect. Is it because that researcher is so passionate with his or her study, and the results, that no other term would suffice? I can also now note that not only do they use the term, but they use its strength to their predictions or inferences that they draw from their data.
I found it interesting that it is critical to have a pre-research or sampling, when I have not really found much evidence of this being done with many of the articles I've read ("ready, fire, aim" Morrell, slide 22). How does this impact the overall research?

And most curious, how would the data present a different result if all non-responses were counted. I notice in my articles that they were mentioned, but it did not clearly indicate if they were coded and analyzed as part of the whole.

Of this week's sources, I did find Poynton's presentation short, but very helpful in its format and language. I had to review Morrell's slideshare multiple times - and it made the most amount of sense after reading our overview a second time and Poynton's presentation. Reviewing Chapters 8 and 9 again were helpful, as it put it more in context with other resources and the language is becoming familiar (not yet comfortable or natural).

I attempted to download and test out Poynton's EZAnalyze software, but having a state-issued Mac with controls set by my school district - I was not able to install and utilize the software. I am hopeful that our technology department, the gatekeepers of all things evil and risky, open it up and help me next week. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment